Wednesday, August 31, 2016

This Election. Ugh.

Elections are one of my favorite things to teach, but I’m not sure how I’d feel about teaching them this year. It’s awfully hard to say the name “Clinton” or “Trump” without it feeling like a verbal bomb went off in the room.

I know that yesterday was the primaries -- and, at least on MY ballot, there were no Clintons or Trumps. But there were a few state legislators, some judges, and some school board candidates.

Primaries are a great way to talk about a lot of different parts of government - and with a little less, um, craziness. Their parents have probably taught them a lot about Clinton or Trump, but probably not so much about  Jolly or Murphy. You may find that easier to teach about since it will ignite a little less passion.

As social studies teacher, it is our job to teach this elections and other elections. It’s possible that no one else in our students’ lives is going to do it.

This particular election seems to have a few more memes and a few more verbal landmines. And maybe a little more name-calling? (or is that just some people?)

I know we talked at DWT about teaching this election and historical elections. I’d like to share a treasure trove of resources for teaching this election.

Check out my favorite Social Studies blogger, Glenn Wiebe and and his huge list of links for teaching this election -- including fact-checking, lesson plans, campaign finance, polling, and campaign ads.


I could keep writing, but you don’t need to hear from me. You need awesome resources to help you teach this. Go, check out the resources. And good luck teaching this particular election. It’s unique. And important.

Any more great resources not included in this list? Send ‘em to me at newmantr@pcsb.org

No comments:

Post a Comment