Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Reboot

So, last week my new computer started acting up. It kept getting stuck and not saving my stuff.

So I rebooted. I started it over and -- voila! -- it restarted as good as new.

Sometimes, you just need to start over.

I’ll keep this super short today.

I’d like to recommend that (when you get a chance), you think  about January as a reboot. A new year, a new semester, a new chance for a do-over.

As you leave for vacation, you will “turn off” your class. (And maybe your brain. Hey, I don’t judge). And when you come back in January, you will “turn back on” your classroom.

How can you make the reboot improve your areas of concern or frustration?

Just ponder these questions as you daydream about vacation (two days left!!!!)

  • What will you change?  
  • What will you keep the same?
  • What things will you tighten up?
  • Where will you release more to the students?
  • In what area(s) do you want to be more intentional?
  • What do you need to do more of?
  • What do you need to do less of?
  • What do your students need to be successful?
  • What can you do to solve a particular problem?

Then, leave on Friday and take a wonderful, well-deserved break. Turn off your teacher-brain and just be.

I hope you and your friends and family have a joyful, restful holiday break! And happy new year! I look forward to seeing you all in 2017!!

-Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment