Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Mid Year Checkup


Welcome back, colleagues!


I hope you had a wonderful, restful break full of puppies, babies, margaritas, snowballs, books, bowl games, cookies, binge-watching,or whatever are some of your favorite things

Happy half-way point! Today, we are halfway through the school year. Your first semester is finished and our new semester is just beginning.

This is the perfect time for a little self reflection.

Now, you may or may not have made new year’s resolutions. It’s none of my business how many pounds you want to lose or how much money you want to save.

But it is (a little bit) my business to help you think about some mid-year check up  goals.

No, not at the doctor! That’s not my business either.

No, let’s talk mid-year teaching check up.

I read a great article in Edutopia that helps us to look both backwards and forwards here at the mid-point of our year.

First, take a look back at first semester and look at the things you have accomplished so far. Write them down, no matter how small they might seem

  • Maybe you have streamlined your discipline plan from last year.   
  • Maybe you have tried out some standards-based grading.
  • Maybe you have taught some new benchmarks or strategies that you feel confident about.
  • Maybe you re-arranged your room and it’s really working better.
  • Maybe you incorporated enough collaboration that it finally feels normal and natural!
  • Maybe you have made end-of-the-period formative assessment a consistent habit.
  • Maybe you finally found someone to sit next to THAT kid who doesn’t exacerbate the problem!

Give yourself some kudos, pats-on-the-back, or margaritas and recognize your accomplishments. Then, write them down somewhere that you will see them again. On a sisyphean day when it feels like you never accomplish anything, take it out and remind yourself (and others) of you accomplishments.

This can also help you see patterns where you have already spent a lot of time or what got the most attention from you.

Next, start jotting down areas where you’d like to grow. Ask yourself some questions...
  • What am I struggling to accomplish?
  • Where do I need more help?
  • Now that I have accomplished ___, a good “next step” might be ___
  • Even though I share responsibility over ___  with (parents, administrators, etc.), how can work on MY corner of the problem?
  • What areas of frustration exist in my classroom? How can I make them less frustrating?
  • Now that I reached Kid 1, how can I try differently to reach Kid 2? Or class 2?

Now, pick one or two of those areas and think about an action plan.

  • What PD might help?
  • What book or reputable online resource can I use (but not Teachers Pay Teachers)?
  • Who can I talk to about this goal?
  • What steps can I try?

The best advice I heard? Find a PD Buddy (although a less-goofy name might make it more palatable) and hold each other accountable. Just like a Weight-Watchers group or quitting-smoking friend or  a running partner can help you stay on track, a PD Partner (I’m trying that name out. How does it sound?) who has similar goals can help you stay focused on your goal and can help you problem-solve it.

Don’t do it because of your evaluation.

Don’t do it because Marzano, or Dr. Grego, or your principal says so.

Do it because we all have areas where we can grow. Even the Teacher of the Year has areas for growth and challenges.

What do you want to work on?

YOU decide and then YOU make a plan.

Do you need someone to talk it out with? Don’t have a PD Partner to help you out? Just want to think out loud or on paper? Email me! Newmantr@pcsb.org

And Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment